On Mother’s Day we decided to take on Trois Freres (Three Brothers) mountain, the second highest on the island.  We drove up the Sans Souci road from Victoria until we reached a sign for Chemin Foret Noire, here we turned right and carried on up a single track until we reached a gravel car park.  At the car park there are signs pointing the direction for the trail.IMGP1089 blog



We started following the clearly defined path and enjoyed the beautiful views which quickly started to appear across Victoria, the port and Ste Anne National Marine Reserve.  There were numerous small waterfalls along the way which we paused to enjoy.

IMGP1066 blog

IMGP1068 blog

After about 40 minutes we reached a path which led up over a granite peak, with markers to inform you of a viewing platform nearby. There are rough stone steps on this section and a chain railing to help steady yourself.  There are lots of pitcher plants lining the path, some of the largest we had seen yet, these are lined with a sweet sticky substance to lure unsuspecting creatures in before they fall to their death in the liquid inside!

IMGP1073 blog

IMGP1075 blog

IMGP1077 blog

Once at the top of this section the path splits, we followed it to the right and found our way to a ledge where we sat and enjoyed our picnic admiring the view across the bay. We could see all the way from almost Beau Vallon across to the airport.

IMGP1080 blog

IMGP1081 blog


After enjoying our food, we decided we would venture a little further up the path.  This seemed like a great idea until the rain started, but being British and in the mood for a bit of adventure we carried on higher. The path became less of a path, but more of a steep clamber and hike.  The rain continued. We sheltered under some large palm leaves in the hope the rain would ease, it seemed to lessen slightly so onward we went.




The path soon levelled out and the area was a very dense woodland, almost like Britain in the rain and mist.


We’d thought we were near the end, but then we then noticed that the path continued to the right marked by some bits of red plastic tied to trees.


The path again got steeper and then became a clamber up some rocks at the end. We didn’t quite make it to the cross at the top, as it was too exposed to the elements and too dangerous, but we did reach the summit height wise, 699m, but not much of a view to prove it!  Even by this point we were drenched! Stu even managed to wring out his t-shirt over my head with water.


The route back down was pretty perilous. We had to scramble down along the path which had now become a waterfall. It was pretty hair-raising at moments as we had to grab hold of branches and trees to steady ourselves down. By the time we reached the bottom (after approximately 3 ½ hours of walking) all of our clothes were drenched through, my phone had broken in the wet, but we did see a whole new area of the Morne Seychellois National Park!